These flavours are delicious. It’s great on a braaied steak, and it’s banting.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 125 g thickly sliced white button mushrooms (1½ – 1¾ cups sliced)
- 1 cup cream
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives (optional)
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Sauté the onion and garlic. Add the mushrooms and saute for a further 2 minutes.
- Add cream and thyme. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium heat until the sauce starts to boil. Keep on stirring and boil for 4 – 5 minutes (depending on the size of the pan), or until the cream has been reduced to a medium thick consistency. The sauce will thicken more when cooling. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chives (if using). Season with salt, black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Serve immediately.